Wednesday, August 09, 2006

TODD SNIDER ON LENO

Todd Snider is performing tonight on Jay Leno. This is pretty big time for this singer who plays in mostly small venues, yet he has a strong following that's growing all the time.

"Todd Snider often writes songs with a slightly boozy country-rock swagger . . ." (NPR) His concerts are a combination of a stand-up routine, with clever and sometimes thought-provoking songs. The man has killer sense of timing. He is a storyteller.

Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite Todd Snider songs called Statistician's Blues, makes me laugh every time:

They say 3% of the people use 5-6% of their brain
97% use just 3% and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am, but I'll bet you my last dime
99% think we're 3% 100% of the time

64% of the world's statistics are made up right there on the spot
82.4% of people believe them whether they're accurate statistics or not
I don't know what you believe, but I do know there's no doubt
I need another double shot of something 90 proof, I got too much to think about

Too much to think about, too much to figure out
Stuck between hope and doubt, it's too much to think about

They say 92% of everything you learned in school is just bullshit you'll never need
84% of everything you got you bought to satisfy your greed
Because 90% of the world's population links possessions to sucess
Even though 80% of the wealthiest 1% of the population drinks to an alarming excess
More money, more stress

Too much to think about, too much to figure out
Stuck between hope and doubt, it's too much to think about

[Pick it now]

84% of all statisticians truly hate their jobs
They say the average bank robber lives within, say, about 20 miles of the back that he robs
There's a little bank not far from here
I've been watching now awhile
Lately all I can think about's
How bad I want to go out in style

It's too much to think about, it's too much to figure out
Stuck between hope and doubt, it's too much to think about
That's right
It's too much to think about
Amen
It's too much to think about
Um-hmm

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat Paulk said...

All that wasted money on mind fertilizer!! Gotta love a man with numbers!!

8:59 AM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Ha! Last night he sang from his new album, but I wouldn't really know since I couldn't stay awake for it.


ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4:17 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Me either!! 11 p.m. and my eyes start rolling like a slot machine. No pay out though.

6:14 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

I was out at 9!

8:15 PM, August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home