Sunday, May 21, 2006

WOMEN + POETRY

I will have a poem published in the January inaugural issue of WOMB. Very cool.

Every time I say the word, womb, I have to think about it. Such a strange word, such a mouthful packed into one syllable. Womb. I'll look into the roots of the word, but in the mean time, here's a poem:

womb

whether you decide to use that power or not
it is a power, a place to grow life whether
you grow a body there or not, it is a land,
lawless: food, energy, warmth, life
given freely even at risk of own
the only warring is how low
your own supplies can go
until body outgrows
rends free to obey
rules of airy
tomb

I also have poems forthcoming in two of issues of remark - a 'zine of damn fine poetry.

I've always wanted to use the word "forthcoming."

5 Comments:

Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Womb has Middle/Old English origins - from wamba - sounds like a dance!

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/womb

10:58 AM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger Pris said...

Which issue of Remark will you be in? I'll have two in the Chris K edited one and then one in the all women's issue in the Fall. It would be nice if we were in the same issue.

9:35 PM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Hi Pris - we will be in the fall issue together - very nice! Amber Waves will be in the June issue. When is the Chris K. issue up?

11:08 PM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Congratulations!! Damn fine poem!!

11:10 AM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Thanks Pat - the shape of the poem was accidental - but I like it!

7:52 PM, May 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home