Wednesday, May 24, 2006

BE BOLD

I always enjoy visiting Peggy Payne's Boldness Blog for inspiration on how to trust yourself during the writing process and forge ahead. I also got the chance to meet her in person at the NCWN Spring Conference last Saturday at Peace College (beautiful setting, by the way).

In a recent post she shares ways to "Find The Writing Topic To Inspire Your LASTING PASSION" - and here is a question that has stayed with me:

*NOTICE: What do you spend most of your time thinking about?


Yikes, what do I think about most of the time? It seems that I'm so busy that I don't have the luxury to just think about anything but teaching and family stuff. But just last night, my husband and I were trying to make life decisions that required serious thought. I'm talking pulling yourself out of your life and looking at it from above. I'm talking long range. I tend to "what if" so looking ahead realistically can be a challenge for me, but I still think it is important to have those fanciful hopes and dreams out there as an overall guide, while also taking into account real-life responsibilities. When I boil it all down: I think about children, mine and others, how they learn and interact. I think about family and daily interactions. I think about words and how to put them together. I think about traveling and interconnectedness. I think about God, but not in a religious way. I'm UU, so I think about God in a collective sense. I think about evil and how we get side tracked by fear and selfishness. I think about trying to be a better mom, wife, teacher, person, and poet.

Here's another tip from Peggy I'll try on:

*Before you go to sleep, tell yourself you’re going to DREAM of what you’re most called to write. The moment you wake up, write down every detail you can recall, whether the dream seems to have any value or not.

This may be my "theme" for a poetic series.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle M. Buchanan said...

Julia is intelligent/mother/teacher/open/
determined

10:56 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Peggy Payne said...

I'm glad you liked some of my thoughts from the conference at Peace. Reminds me I should ask myself what it is I mostly think about. I might not want to admit it. Probably the subject matter isn't very "elevated."

2:20 PM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home