Wednesday, March 01, 2006

OLD POEM, SAME REFRAIN

Life has been caught up in that harried coming and going: work, home, work, home, here, there. This poem written when Liam was a baby captures the general feeling - we are stunned from the busyness.

Two Beams of Fragile Light
J.B. Rowell

One says there are no monsters
under her bed
because there is no room
too many books.
She wants to stay at school
when I pick her up.

The other lunges
to latch on
when I hold him again
mouthing for comfort
after the substitute he is given
warmed in a crock-pot.

I say there are no monsters
anyway
but how can I keep holding
back invisible crowding?

We drive home stunned
to books under beds and
desperate feedings.
While another day dims
their fragile bodies are lifted
out of the bathtub.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat Paulk said...

From the title to the end great poem! "...but how can I keep holding back invisible crowding?" Mom, the dragon slayer!

8:59 AM, March 03, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Thanks Pat - I missed this comment until now . . .

8:18 PM, March 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home