Thursday, December 15, 2005

A POEM, A POEM!

Rae uncovered a poem in one of my previous posts . . . thanks!

How to Teach Poetry

for Rae

I prompt them: pretend you are
this gingko leaf on a trip
to the ground.
I can ask them
what it looks like - their answer
a fan of course.

Or I can tell them poetry
is hiding all over this garden,
and they are invited to seek.
Look closely until a door opens.

Look closely at not just the gingko,
but the way the pine needle twins
straddle branches, patterns of light
and shadow, the waxy shine
of the magnolia leaf.

A boy, who just can't stop talking
in our quiet space, talks to the gingkoes,
clusters them, fans his face,
declares one the king,
writes about ducks not seen.
He is poetry.

1 Comments:

Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Yes - I meant to do that - looks better now. Thanks again for finding the poem.

9:54 AM, December 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home