Saturday, January 20, 2007

CONNECTIONS

Apparently, I'm quotable . . .

I received an e-mail from a photographer asking to use a line from a poem of mine. Cesar J. La Rosa is the photographer living in Lima, Peru. He accompanies most of his work with quote, or a line from a poem or song. The best part of this whole random connection is meeting someone from another part of the world and seeing his beautiful work.

Another cool thing is hearing how a poem connects:

"
I was looking for a quote or something to go with my photo and as a teacher, I think I had been looking for something that expressed what I felt once last year when I was allowed to get into the empty classrooms of a small school to take some photographs. It was so quiet without the children, it actually made me feel very sad; a classroom without students is simply a room waiting for them to come back and fill it with their laughter, their voices and their light." ~Cesar J. La Rosa

Here is the photo . . .

Since I posted the poem on the blog, it has been revised with that line serving as the title. I'm not sure if it is done yet. I'm not sure if poems are ever done.

An Empty Classroom is the Loudest Kind of Quiet

j.b. rowell

Chairs hold their legs
up on tables, waiting for floors
to be swept. Layered walls,
fabric and paper framed
by scalloped borders.

Click, clicking in the hush,
wood on wood, I am 33
learning how to knit, taught
by the ones I teach.
Learning with them.

Bamboo needles looping
rust yarn, shimmying up
toward point to drop off
soothed in therapy
of busy hands.

Too tight in my new efforts,
I loosen to the rhythm of
thinking fingers.
It will find you, this meditation,
this practical use for hands.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Congratulations!! A great photograph to have your words associated with.

7:25 AM, January 22, 2007  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Thanks Pat - it is a great photograph - and check out the rest in his gallery too . . .

3:43 PM, January 22, 2007  
Blogger Cute Boy Chicago said...

Very cool. There's something special about collaborating in art. Words, pictures, comeing together around the topic of a classroom. Very cool.

8:08 AM, January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home