Sunday, October 29, 2006

"FARM" VS FARM



Every year before Halloween, we usually end up at a "farm" to "pick" our pumpkin. These farms grow actual pumpkins, but also have inflated pumpkin moonwalks, "pony rides" (poor things chained to a pole trudging around in a circle), and even helicopter rides. These experiences always leaves me feeling cold.

Yesterday, we went to an actual working farm, with unfettered animals, a corn maze, and a tractor-pulled hayride which took us over acres of a variety of crops including pumpkins. We waved to folks picking their own huge bunches of collard greens and putting garbage bags full in their cars.

Ironically, we did not pick our own pumpkins, but chose one after the hayride. Oh well. Can't have everything.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat Paulk said...

I've always felt sorry for the little ponies tethered to the pole going round and round. Due love the greens, all varieties. Sounds like an excellent day!!

9:34 AM, October 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little sis and dad were just carving a pumpkin. I prefer to keep my pumpkins plain. BTW, try and guess my costume this year. I'll give you a hint - think "webpage".

6:58 PM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

It was an excellent day Pat - gorgeous, breezy fall weather too! Besides feeling sorry for the poor ponies, it just can't be that much fun for the rider either . . .

Hi Jake,
I understand your preference for plain pumpkins. I was just explaining to MH that jack-o-lanterns never turn our how you imagine them - she was crying because she "messed up." I have learned to love the messy reality of pumpkin carving. Let's see, could it be that you are a blog this year Jake? Your I-Pod costume last year was unforgettable!
Julia

7:13 PM, October 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe they have "feelings". Good guess - I'm the Google homepage! Pictures on my blog tommorow. What were MH and Liam this year?

7:48 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Great costume Jake!

Thanks for saving the world - one pumpkin at a time . . .

5:54 AM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home