Saturday, June 10, 2006

THERE'S NO BUSINESS

. . . LIKE SHOW BUSINESS!

My daughter is the ham with her hands on her heart.






This was a performance for Grandparents' Day at school, and no, I am not a stage mom. She has been like this since a very young age - loves the spotlight. My son is the opposite.

So this brings me to my question: how do you go about fostering your children's interests? Do you get them involved in many things, just one or two? Do you encourage them to stick with something even when their interest wanes, or do you change activities whenever they express a new interest?

She has been involved in camps and classes from time to time: dance, soccer, karate, art, basketball, ice skating. Our philosophy has been to let her try lots of new experiences (I'll tell you about bribing her to jump off the high dive another time), and we only have signed her up for long-term classes when she has shown a strong and long-lasting interest. That has mostly been dance classes.

She is just starting guitar lessons since we're a wee bit tired of hearing random strumming and belting of songs. It's time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pris said...

An adorable picture!!!:-)

5:23 AM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

my daughter graduated from the Center for the Arts High school (vocal music theater and art) in Richmond yesterday- she begins her summer job tomorrow at City Parks & Rec as a costumer-

When she was a mere babe-she took my cross-stitch and worked on it, wore crazy outfits (yeah Montessori)and as she got older we did soccer, dance, karate, summer theater for kids, but mostly I tried to let her lead (but if money and time were involved she had to decide if she would see it though)

Since I am/was a music teacher, church choir director she knew firsthand how things got screwed when someone dropped out along the way.

I suggest following her lead and if that's dance, great- but more than anything make sure she is exposed to wonderful people who love what they do- I've run into some psycho teachers (many in dance) who are never kind- stay far away from those!!!

and give her time to play- not every second needs an activity.

5:27 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Thanks Pris and Shann and Michael,

I agree with your approach Shann and sense of balance - I had a dance teacher like the tyoe you mentioned - UGH!

1:31 PM, June 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home