Monday, January 23, 2006

PARLEZ-VOUS?

A gender and writing discussion is also going on at Silliman's blog where he is criticizing a woman's book as a "grand failure," and a mostly male crowd is commenting. I have not read the book, but I can't escape the feeling when I'm there like I've walked into a male locker room. Scrolling through the archives I notice the photos, poets, poetry, books - also mostly male. A few females - have they just learned how to play by the rules?

Are men and women poets speaking the same language?

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene Latham said...

Reading those posts, I think something must have gotten lost in the translation... or else I need to go back to French class. :)
Funny, I'd never even thought about prose poetry being male dominated. But now that I think about it, I realize I've written only one in all these years. And I don't like it much! What's up with that???

6:59 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Pris said...

I personally have a lot of trouble with the comments on Silliman's blog and have had for some time. One reason I read it less. Too much preening and pretention with a small group of commenters there trying to show how smart they are. And yes, the comments are usually male dominated, too. No clue why.

6:26 AM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

And they do like to argue. In that gender science book I'm reading, boys fight to bond and decide status, girls fight and may never recover their friendship - supposedly. So it's no wonder I don't feel comfortable there - they are calling each other names, and picking the other's arguments apart. Not fun to me.

7:09 AM, January 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home