Sunday, January 22, 2006

RANT

Write Like a Man
J.B. Rowell

I can’t.

I try.

I bore myself, why?

Because compartmentalizing words
and logically connecting,
and catapulting

just doesn’t do it for me.

Sometimes there’s no layer
beneath the layer,
no motion,
no crash.

Blackberries can mean
blackberries,
not sex.

Dead poets are dead

I’m alive

and I can’t help but write

the way I write

throwing in
words you will want
to cut.

* * *

On another note, Verse Daily and Poetry Daily seem to have a theme for the day. One poem is written by a man, the other by a woman, and they are both equally complex and lovely. This completely undermines my sexist poem rant above. Oh well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle M. Buchanan said...

I think this starts at Sometimes there's no layer.....I originally thought the blackberries but I read it from the Sometimes. I liked this, a lot.

10:35 PM, January 22, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

That would work better from there, without my prologue. Sometimes I just can't help myself though . . . did you notice that there are always words we want to cut?
:)

10:53 PM, January 22, 2006  
Blogger Michelle M. Buchanan said...

I force myself to read men more. I just recently realized I am sexist in that way. I tend to read women poets more. It's not intentional. There are male poets I really admire. If you put two books in front of me, one all men, one all women -- guess which I would pick up first?

I feel this is a bad quality and I am trying to break that urge. I'm a hypocrite really.

12:53 PM, January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home