Saturday, November 12, 2005

24 POEMS

I have 24 poems out there, submitted to a variety of print and online pubs. I've never sent out so many at one time before. I think I was hoping that if I sent out that many it would be easier to wait, but it's not. While of course I'm hoping to publish at least one or two, I am also relieved when they come back rejected. I have a pile of very handsome rejection slips in a drawer of my roll-top desk waiting for more.

The Secret Life of Rejection

When they return with a
slight slip
I thrill as if it were my will
all along
the words come rushing back in
mine again
relieved in a way
never shared
out loud.

Ink letters temporarily lost
in entropy
to the unknown musings
of experts?
and lackeys looting through
paper piles
and mine among
waits quietly
for release.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I used to court rejection with poems - many years ago - and I understand the releif at the yellow slip - "Thanks, we'll keep you on file." I used to hang them on my living room wall, like other people hung their paintings. Yes, to keep them personal, treasure. Thanks for sharing with me, tho!

4:51 PM, November 12, 2005  
Blogger Irene Latham said...

Hang in there.... that acceptance is coming! The key is to never give up.

6:03 PM, November 12, 2005  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Not sure if I could hang them on the wall, Stephen, that's too much facing reality for me! Irene, thanks for the support - even if they aren't coming, that's okay, I'll keep up the boomarang cycle of submitting.

4:07 PM, November 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home