Wednesday, January 11, 2006

SISTER-IN-LAW

Dear Lara

After your quick tutorial,
I try to prune the roses
by myself in winter.
I may be too late
and I’m probably
doing it all wrong.

Is this a 45-degree angle?
Or was it more?


And if you were here
you’d remind me:
remove the dead,
then scan the stems
for the blush of buds
facing out
and cut just above.
Make it clean.

It comes back to me almost
like you’re still here
talking about
what really matters
in what doesn’t
with children on our laps.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene Latham said...

Love this poem.

9:16 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

These are amazing comments and they mean alot to me - thanks for taking the time to read!
Julia

7:59 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Michelle M. Buchanan said...

I LOVED this too! It's perfect, beautiful.

8:06 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Wow - all caps and the word "perfect" - thanks Michelle. You just never know how people will respond to your poetry. I love this poem too (when I wrote it - tears) - this usually is a bad sign and means everyone else will hate it. That kind of internal and external alignment is rare . . .
sigh
:)

6:39 PM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home