Friday, December 02, 2005

WAITING FOR THE SUN

Honeymoon
J.B. Rowell

waking
under
weight
wine
sleep
blinking
blackness
cottage
waves
lapping
close
everything
else
silence
unsettling
after
city
wedding
you
woke
too
both
wide
awake
we
walk
along
pier
lanterns
lining
encased
glowing
webs
water
sky
same
steel
washed
slight
light
unsure
embrace
you
behind
me
like
you
see
on
tv

This poem has been around for ages busting at the walls of the formatting I inflicted upon it so it could run straight. Years later, I think I finally got it - comments welcome (as always). I'm posting tonight so I can sleep in tomorrow morning - ha. Tonight is low key, red wine and a chick flick, poor hub (it's okay, he'll sleep). Actually, the movie is geared more to teenagers (my deep dark secret exposed). Tomorrow I am seeing the movie Pride and Prejudice with my co-teachers, and Sunday I am headed to Greensboro for a writing workshop. Also, need to decorate for the holidays and go to 2 first-grade-girl birthday parties - one an un-sleepover where they arrive in their pjs and stay until 9:00 p.m. Heaven preserve us!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this one from BTP. Think it had normal-length lines then. I like the one-word lines much better, they make a poem out of it.

8:45 PM, December 29, 2005  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Hey Suzanne, thanks for coming by!

I'm glad it works. I really have been wrestling with the format of this one for a long time, and I remember someone in BTP commenting that it would work better more abstract/Haiku-like. Who was that - Barry?

I'd love to hear about your holidays and classes when you have time.
Julia

10:08 PM, December 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home